Monday, November 27, 2006

My family stay

On Saturday and Sunday I had my family stay. The Kitayama family was so warm, friendly and kind hearted. I had a fantastic time with them. They not only opened their home to me they opened their hearts. We ate together, laughed together and learned so much about one another. When I arrived at their house we exchanged gifts and they were so incredibly generous.
They took me to a beautiful ceramics studio in the mountains. Then we went for a sushi lunch. After lunch we went to botanical garden near the ocean. It was such a wonderful day. In the evening Kumiko prepared an incredible dinner for us. At night I had a chance to experience a true Japanese bath. In a Japanese home there is a separate room for bathing. First, you wash yourself with a handheld shower, and then you soak in a very hot tub. The tub is quite different than our American tubs. It is very deep but very small. Just big enough to sit in with your legs folded, but the water comes up to your neck. It was great! The best bath I ever had! And since I was a guest they let me go first, because everyone in the family uses the same water. Since you clean yourself before you go in, there is no need to change the water. What follows are a few photos from my time with my host family. They are wonderful people!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a memorable experience....the stay with the family. Your entire blogging of the Japan adventure has been colorful, exciting and informative.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello malissa ( im sorry if i spelled your name wrong) my pupet is doing great its nothing like i expected it to be but its not bad im having alot of fun in art and i hope that you are having a great time in Japan my email is talianabug@mindspring.com from taliana katz.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear melissa how are you from:...

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that bathtub sounds so soothing!

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home