Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The real reason we are here.

Today, after what has felt like weeks, we finally visited a children’s school in Japan. We visited the Nakatsu Elementary School, in Yukuhashi City. The last week and a half has been an inspiring journey but nothing could prepare me for the experience I was to have today. I am posting photos from my visit, but the thing that I can’t post, but will do my best to convey to you, is the openness of heart and spirit that emanates from the children and teachers of Japan. At Nakatsu, they strive to put their heart forward, in front of everything they do. There is a saying in Japanese, of which I don’t remember the actual Japanese words (but will be certain to get them before I leave), that means ‘each moment we spend together is precious and I will cherish it’. This means even if you are a fleeting face that I see on the bus, or a vendor that I encounter in a market, I cherish that particular moment I share with you. Do you think you could live your life like that? I am telling you this because the children and teachers that I encountered today were filled, no, they were swelling, with energy, love and spirit. One of the educational goals of Japan is to foster Ikiruchikara, ‘the zest for living’. Well, these children were filled with zest and today they were over the moon with excitement having a group of American teachers at their school.

Yukuhashi is a small seaport town, and it is quite lovely, but very humble, and they rarely see people who aren’t Japanese, especially Americans. I know I have said this now quite a few times, but teachers are really placed in the category as the one’s to be most respected in this country, and once again, upon arrival, at the school we all felt like movie stars. This time though, not only did we feel like movie starts we acted like them, because the children screamed and mobbed us and asked for our autograph! Sign, kudasai! Sign, kudasai! They know very little English, but they know how to ask you to sign your name. So picture this group of flabbergasted American teachers in a sandy school play yard, signing their names and taking pictures with little children who flash the peace sign whenever you take their photo. Every time they pose for a photo they not only smile they communicate peace! We say ‘cheese’, they say ‘peace’. My heart be still…

I spent the day with my ‘host’ class; a spirited group of 5th graders and they were so much fun to be with. I watched them learn math, have a music class, a calligraphy class, indoor and outdoor recess (they ride unicycles every day in the play yard!), I watched them make special rope that they use in the Yukuhashi festival that will happen soon. I tried my hand at making rope and it was hard! After they were done making rope they drew pictures and wrote about what they had just done, from beginning to end, and they took turns reading what they wrote to their classmates. I then did origami with a few of the girls and the funny thing was I taught THEM how to make a few things: a crane, a frog and a paper boru (ball) which raised my celebrity status even higher. I ate lunch with them in their classroom and they take turns being servers to the class. Everyone waits until all are served before eating and then they say “itadakimas” together, which is basically saying “I receive this food”. The children then all, and I mean ALL, stop what they are doing after lunch and every single student participates in cleaning the building for 20 minutes, every single day. The ENTIRE building: they sweep the floors, polish the hand rails, sweep the stairs and the entry way to the building and they even, drum roll please…clean the bathroom! With smiles on their faces!! What follows are images from my day at the elementary school. It is a day I will cherish forever!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your description...verbally and photographically is absolutely wonderful. I can feel the energy and the excitement of the 5th graders as well on the part of you and the visiting teachers, just vibrating off the desktop....
the kids are so sweet and I like the idea of "peace" instead of "cheese". Good idea!

6:08 AM  
Blogger happylee57 said...

hi sis,
i'm enjoying your account of the trip. what an opportunity! what an interesting culture

7:12 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Oh said...

That's absolutely amazing and touching! Thanks so much for forwarding your blogspot - your descriptions are so heartfelt and vivid that they blow me away even in a secondhand account...!

lovexoxoxoJennifer

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa, what a gift you have with encapsulating the essence of all you experience! I am touched and honored to share it all with you!

Do you feel that there are any elements at the heart of the schools there, such as heart forward, peace, zest for living, daily cleaning and story time at lunch, that could be integrated at LREI? I just loved the descriptions and feel inspired! And the biggest surprise of all: to meet the university professor who once went to LR many years ago and vowed to try to integrate what she saw! Exactly the feeling you must be having as well. What a pleasure to read your blog! Can't wait to hear more!

Love, Jenny

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home