Sunday, December 03, 2006

Forever grateful


During my entire stay in Yukuhashi I was very fortunate to have Keiko as my guide. Without her I don't think my experience would have been as rich as it was. Keiko was so very warm and open about Japan and Japanese culture and customs. She provided all of us with a true entry way into the lives of the people who live in Yukuhashi and Japan in general. At the start of our time together in Tokyo, Keiko said she will be a 'mother' to us, making sure we will always be comfortable and safe. She taught us right from the start about 'ichigo ichie', which immediately struck me as one of the most profound teachings in my journey to Japan. (Check my earlier entry to learn about 'ichigo ichie'). She prepared us about certain customs in the Japanese home such as taking a hot bath (and going first as the honored guest) and being careful what you compliment when with a Japanese family, because they will give the item to you if you say you like it. I had many amazing experiences and highlights during my trip but meeting Keiko and spending time with her is something I will cherish forever. Domo arigato gozaimas!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home